My best friend asked me what my New Year’s resolutions were for 2018. To be honest, I hadn’t really thought much about it until she asked. Surprisingly, the answer came straight away. Get back to the basics!
I tell my students and my clients all the time…until you have mastered the basics, you have no business trying to do something more complicated or involved. If you have a client who can’t do a stationary lunge perfectly why the hell are you moving them onto walking lunges? If you have a client who struggles to drink enough water and fit in their three 45 minute workouts each week why the hell are you on them about meal planning and meal prep?
Until the basics are mastered nothing else will stick. In fact, anything else that is tried is doomed to fail.
The basics aren’t sexy, they don’t sell a lot of books/products or programs but they are the most important resolution you (or your clients) could make this year edmedicom.com.
So what are the basics for me?
- getting to bed EVERY night by 10pm and up at 5am every morning
- drinking enough water every day
- moving my body everyday in some way, not waiting for “workout” day
- reading something educational/inspiring everyday
- connecting with at least one family member/friend every week that I haven’t talked to in a while
- doing something fun with my family every day (playing cards, dancing, singing, whatever)
Like I said, not sexy. But man, talk about life changing when those basics are in place.
So this year, instead of going after that next shiny thing, maybe stop for a moment and take stock of your basics, where are you solid and where do you need get back on track?